Home Forums Technical Support Fabric Covering Fabric over plywood sheeted wing

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hi All,
    I’ve been working with a restorer who is covering a sheeted plywood wing on a Ballanca. I thought I would outline the procedure here so it’s a bit clearer than stated in our procedure manual. Although correct, the manual doesn’t clearly differentiate between a sheeted plywood wing and an open wood rib wing. I think this will clear up any questions that may arise when covering a sheeted wing or door:

Fabric to Sheeted Wood Surfaces (example: plywood covered wings or doors) When applying fabric over plywood surfaces, apply the EkoBond Cement (E610) to a 1″-2″ perimeter of the plywood and allow to tack up. Apply fabric over the entire wood surface. Secure the perimeter area with iron set at 250 degrees. Brush additional EkoBond Cement (E610) down through the glued perimeter of the fabric and wipe away excess with a blue paper shop towel. Allow perimeter to dry for 45-60 minutes before removing additional wrinkles over entire surface. To remove all wrinkles, lightly iron down entire surface at 250 degrees. Brush additional EkoBond Cement (E610) down through the fabric over the entire surface, wipe away excess with a blue paper shop towel. Apply in sections of one square foot at a time. Allow to dry fully than remove any wrinkles or bubbles with iron at low heat (230-250 degrees).

Hope this helps.
    Marty

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.