Home Forums Technical Support Metal Finishing painting soft edge camouflage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi All. I’m trying to do a soft edge, WW2 style paint job on my SM Spitfire. Any tips on proper masking to get the soft edge? Last time I did it free hand and it turned out okay but was tough to follow the first coat.

Thanks
    Harold

Stewart SystemsAndy Humphrey
    Keymaster

Harold,

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Are you wanting kind of a faded transition from one color to the other?

Andy

HAROLD LINEHAROLD LINE
    Participant

That’s correct Andy. Like the old fighters from WW2. Not a sharp masked edge.

Thanks
    Harold

Keymaster

Probably the easiest way is to freehand it with the paint gun. I don’t really know of a better way.

HAROLD LINEHAROLD LINE
    Participant

Thanks Andy. Yeah, kind of what I figured and what I’ve heard from some other painters. Can I just turn up the gun a bit and lay a heavier first coat? When I sprayed her the first time, I had a really hard time seeing the difference between dark green and Ocean grey. A heavier first coat might help that.

Harold

Keymaster

The first coat needs to be light for good adhesion. It should be about 50% coverage. You should be able to read a newspaper through it. Then following fog coats should not flow. The need to have a matte appearance like fine sand paper. If they start to flow it will set up a base for orange peel. Once you have color saturation, then lay down a wet coat. If you are using flattener and you want it as flat as possible, leave your last coat as a fog coat.

Andy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.